FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
E-Z-GO® Introduces PowerFilm Solar Technology for Electric Vehicles
Features exclusively designed snap-top installation system
AUGUSTA, GA. — E-Z-GO, a Textron (NYSE:TXT) Company, introduces PowerFilm Solar Panel technology designed to improve the battery life and performance of electric golf cars, while providing a simple, cost-effective path to “going green.” This innovative technology is available on the E-Z-GO RXV® and TXT® electric fleet golf cars, and Freedom® RXV and Freedom TXT electric personal golf cars.
PowerFilm Inc. is an Iowa-based company and an industry leader in developing and manufacturing thin, flexible solar module technology. Through extensive collaboration with the U.S. military, PowerFilm has developed unique, field-ready solar solutions for military use and for other government agencies such as NASA.
“E-Z-GO’s partnership with PowerFilm aligns with our commitment to environmental excellence,” said E-Z-GO President Kevin Holleran. “We are proud to offer PowerFilm as a quality solar solution to our dealers and customers seeking greener, more carbon-neutral options for powering their fleet and personal electric cars.”
The PowerFilm Solar Panel is lightweight, thin and flexible. Its snap-top system, designed exclusively for E-Z-GO, allows for easy installation without requiring canopy replacement or structural reinforcement. Users of the panel can reduce energy costs required to charge and maintain their E-Z-GO electric vehicles by as much as 20 percent annually -- depending on local weather conditions and other factors -- as compared to the cost of charging vehicles without the PowerFilm solution.
“PowerFilm is excited to have the pleasure of working with E-Z-GO for over two years in a true partnering manner with a mutual goal to identify value propositions for E-Z-GO’s existing and future customers,” said Tim Neugent, president and COO of PowerFilm. “As an end result, we have co-designed a product that meets the green, environmental demands of today. It is now a great pleasure to see our mutual work come to market.”
Benefits of the PowerFilm Solar Panel include:
· Increased net driving range. The PowerFilm Solar Panel constantly charges the car’s battery when the vehicle is exposed to sunlight, and decreases the depth of discharge during normal use. Less discharge means longer drive time for the car.
· Easy installation. The panel features a snap-top installation system, exclusively designed for E-Z-GO vehicles. Adding the panel can be done without special tools or any changes to the car’s structure or aesthetics.
· Energy efficient. The solar panel creates, on average, enough electricity per year to offset nearly 100 pounds of carbon dioxide emissions, according to formulas devised by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency.
· Reduced energy costs. Because less power is required to charge the electric car overnight, users will see a reduction in electricity costs to charge and maintain their electric vehicles.
· Lightweight and durable. Unlike many solar products that are heavy and fragile, PowerFilm’s Solar Panel weighs less than seven pounds and can be easily maintained by car owners. Designed and manufactured using no glass, the PowerFilm Solar Panel will stand up to the rigors of daily use.
The PowerFilm Solar Panel will be available in February 2012. Golf facilities can order the system through their E-Z-GO sales representative or authorized distributor. Consumers can purchase the technology at select E-Z-GO authorized dealers. For more information or to locate the nearest authorized E-Z-GO dealer, visit www.ezgo.com. Facebook users can also join E-Z-GO’s Facebook community at www.facebook.com/4ezgo for more information.
PowerFilm, Inc. (London AIM: PFLM.L) was founded in 1988 and is a world-leading developer and manufacturer of thin, flexible solar modules using a proprietary low-cost production process. For more information, visit www.powerfilmsolar.com.
E-Z-GO, a Textron Inc. (NYSE: TXT) company, is a leading global manufacturer of golf cars, utility and personal transportation vehicles. Products sold under the E-Z-GO brand include RXV and TXT fleet golf cars, Freedom RXV and Freedom TXT personal golf cars, E-Z-GO Terrain™ and Express™ personal utility vehicles, and the 2Five® street-legal low-speed vehicle. E-Z-GO also produces the Cushman® line of heavy-duty material carriers and utility vehicles, and the Bad Boy Buggies® line of off-road utility vehicles for hunters and outdoor enthusiasts. Founded in 1954 in Augusta, Ga., E-Z-GO became part of Textron Inc. in 1960.
About Textron Inc.
Textron Inc. (NYSE: TXT) is a multi-industry company that leverages its global network of aircraft, defense, industrial and finance businesses to provide customers with innovative solutions and services. Textron in known around the world for its powerful brands such as Bell Helicopter, Cessna Aircraft Company, Jacobsen, Kautex, Lycoming, E-Z-GO, Greenlee, and Textron Systems. More information is available at www.textron.com.